Get weekly email updates

Follow

Wild (or ordinary!) garlic rolls


It's wild garlic time again - and every border in my garden is absolutely packed with the stuff. I'm not really complaining because it looks lovely when the white flowers come out and it will at least keep weeds at bay until it dies quietly back in a few weeks time - plus, it's really useful in the kitchen.  Able & Cole are selling it for £2 for 50g at the moment so I might have to consider going into production with it. (If anyone who lives locally would like some, though, you're more than welcome to come and pick your own for free!)

It tastes very much like 'real' garlic, just a little sweeter and less harsh and it makes the most fabulous garlic bread, as well as pesto for pasta. I've been busily making batches of garlic bread rolls for the freezer with it this week (thereby killing two birds with one stone - fulfilling my pledge to bake some kind of bread every week, while at the same time making the most of the free harvest in the garden).

The bread freezes really well, but as it tastes best served warm I either put it in the oven for 5 minutes or blast it in the microwave for 30 seconds once it's defrosted. It tastes especially good served with my carrot and ginger soup from last week: https://a-cooks-plot.blogspot.com/2019/03/carrot-and-ginger-soup.html)

The recipe is actually from last year at wild garlic time but it's worth repeating as it really is a lovely bread. You can make it in exactly the same way using normal garlic. In the original recipe I made six rolls, but yesterday I divided the dough into two, rolled each out to a rectangle and once they were both filled and rolled up, I cut each into 8, giving me 16 smaller rolls. That worked worked really well too and I just reduced the cooking time by about 8 minutes.

What's nice about this recipe is that rather than using butter, it uses slightly healthier rapeseed oil - but still tastes just as good.

The filling is what I use to make pesto - and it's probably the nicest pesto I've ever had!

Here's the link to the recipe:
https://a-cooks-plot.blogspot.com/2018/04/wild-garlic.html

If you don’t already get regular updates from A Cook’s Plot and you’d like to get an email each week when I add a new post, or if you would like to get in touch about this or any other recipe, please email me at a-cooks-plot@gmx.co.uk

Alternatively, please fill in your email address below:

Follow Print Friendly and PDF

Comments

Popular Posts